Monday, May 13, 2019

Excuse Me, Ladies

2019

As often happens, my wife and I were at our local Kroger store. It was chilly and rainy out, a typical early March in Ohio. The wind was pretty strong, and by the time we got to the entrance, we were feeling pretty buffeted.

We were just entering, and in front of us, coming toward us, was an elderly black man on one of those powered carts that so many stores have now.

As we approached him, we moved to the side to allow him to pass, and he did the same thing, at the same time. He said: "Excuse me, ladies." and motioned for us to go on through. So, onward we went, thanking him.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my wife smile, and I knew I was smiling too.

Such a simple phrase. In the overall scheme of things, it was a simple statement. But it is also the first time someone ever called me that in public. For me, it was momentous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day My Boss Learned Something

 2023 The Day My Boss Learned Something One day, at a work meeting, I was relating a story of something that happened at a previous job. My ...