Friday, May 17, 2019

Buying Clothes in a Pinch


2017

I'm the brunette, transgender wife.

I was working and was a long drive from the office. I was filling in for a sick employee, and had become contaminated with an essential oils based chemical that had spilled down my back and the backs of my legs in sufficient quantity to soak my clothing. Like many companies, our “unisex uniform” consisted of a pair of men’s khaki work pants, and a man’s polo shirt.

One of the essential oils was a strong peppermint oil, which causes burns. I was in a lot of pain and needed to get changed fast, to remove the chemical exposure that was increasingly burning me. There was a store nearby that sold clothing, so I went there.

I needed to move quickly, as the burning was getting worse. I went to the area where clothing was sold, and quickly found a pair of androgynous khaki pants, a pair of socks, an androgynous top, and a package of panties. I moved quickly to the checkout line, and stood there, my skin burning more, waiting my turn as the cashiers chatted with their customers.

Finally, it was my turn. I placed the clothing on the counter, and asked the cashier if it was okay if I went straight to the changing room and changed as soon as we were done. I explained that I had spilled some chemicals on me, and needed to get out of those clothes, but didn’t want them to think I was trying to steal any clothing.

The cashier said “sure”, and started ringing up the clothing. All went well until she picked up the panties.

“These are panties,” she said.

“Yes they are”, I replied.

“These are panties,” she said again, much louder. People in line and at other cash registers started to turn toward us.

“These panties can’t possibly be for you” she announced very loudly. I heard a woman laugh behind me.

“No, of course not”, I stammered in my deep voice. “They’re for my wife”.

She finished ringing me up, and I left the area as quickly as possible. I went to the changing rooms and undressed. I noticed in the mirror that my chemical burned skin was bright red, from shoulders to feet. I dressed in the new clothes. Then, I headed toward the exit. On the way, I came across the cashier from before, who pointedly asked what I had done with the panties. I didn’t have any choice but to show her the open package. She looked me up and down, then she left me alone, to leave the store.

I felt embarrassed and humiliated. But at the same time, I felt proud of myself, for even going in, and buying what I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day My Boss Learned Something

 2023 The Day My Boss Learned Something One day, at a work meeting, I was relating a story of something that happened at a previous job. My ...