Friday, January 25, 2019

My Wife and Pink

My Wife and Pink

My wife (I'm talking about the transgender woman in the marriage - I know it can get confusing) loves pink so much that she can't walk past something pink without checking it out.  It is amusing and interesting to me that she fought so long and so hard about wearing pink shirts.  Over the years, she would make a huge fuss whenever I would pick out a pink shirt, and once a darker pink tie to go with it really got her going. She refused to wear pink.

One time, years back, our daughters and I were shopping for Father's day.  We had been looking at different things and still hadn't really decided on anything.  This shopping was done a few years before my wife started transitioning.  The girls and I had walked past a display of men's dress shirts with matching ties.  The three of us zoned in on a purple shirt with a darker purple tie.  It was a great color and we all three felt it would look great on their dad.

We bought the shirt and when it came time to give my wife the shirt and tie, the girls were excited.  Let's just say we didn't get the reaction we thought we would.  My wife was like oh, and she thanked us for the gift.  She said she liked it but you could tell she wasn't thrilled about getting it.  She never wore that shirt or tie.  Even though deep down I know she loved that shirt.  The thing is she was still so firmly in the manly man aspect of her life and felt wearing purple or pink wasn't a masculine thing to do.

One thing to watch for, when you're hoping to help your trans partner, when you're trying to figure things out, and they're trying to figure things out, is clothing telltales. It's not unusual for trans people who are not out, and not transitioning, maybe who haven't even realized they're trans yet, to refuse to wear certain clothing articles that resonate with them, out of fear or being uncomfortable that the clothing resonates with them. They might not even realize why. Sometimes how much a clothing item of the "opposite" gender's range, be it style or color, is something they like so much it shocks them, and they hide from it.

1 comment:

The Day My Boss Learned Something

 2023 The Day My Boss Learned Something One day, at a work meeting, I was relating a story of something that happened at a previous job. My ...