Friday, January 25, 2019

I Like Pink




I like pink. I always have. I hate about myself that I have spent my life pushing that away. Firmly, passionately away. I grew up in a place and time where liking pink wasn’t masculine. So, I didn’t like pink. One time, my wife and kids got me a pink shirt and asked me to wear it. I didn’t want to disappoint them, so I wore it. But I don’t think I ever wore it again. Another time, they got me a purple shirt. I don't think I ever wore it. In the meantime, I passed on several shirts, some of them really pretty colors, because men don’t wear those colors, and I pushed away anything that didn't seem "manly". I regret that.

Why do I regret that? Because I let fitting in dictate who I presented myself as, and I pushed away from something I liked because of what people might decide about me. I refuse to do that any more.
You know what? I like the pink. Frankly, I’m nuts about pink. Purple is pretty cool too. I don’t care what that makes me. I still have time to wear pink shirts, pink socks, pink shorts. Bring it on!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day My Boss Learned Something

 2023 The Day My Boss Learned Something One day, at a work meeting, I was relating a story of something that happened at a previous job. My ...