Saturday, July 6, 2019

I'd Like To Introduce You

2019

I'm the brunette, transgender wife.

Recently, we became aware that a friend of ours, who had been studying and working toward becoming a minister, was going to be preaching his first ever sermon. His wife has been awesome toward us over these last years. She asked us to attend the church service.

Unfortunately, this is the same church I discussed in previous posts such as this one: Email From A Transgender Person and this one: Church Bylaws. But, we decided to attend the church service, despite our history there, to be supportive.

The service was much as we remembered, though a bright spot was that he did a really great job!

After the service, some people who remembered us from when we had attended stopped to say hi, and tell us they had missed us. One man who had previously been close to us was among them, and my wife asked him and another friend to step off to the side and asked me to join them. They asked what was up.

That's when she said it. No warning for them. Or, for that matter, nor me.

"Guys, I'd like to introduce you to my wife", she said. I was shocked. I hadn't expected that. But as shocked as I was, the two men were more shocked. My wife launched into a very brief explanation, told them what my name is now, and they said they'd like to talk more with us. Then we left.

She'd never referred to me publicly as her wife before. I looked totally composed as we left the church, but my heart was soaring!

* Note from the redhead cis-gender wife:  My wife had a big goofy grin on her face the rest of the day. I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day My Boss Learned Something

 2023 The Day My Boss Learned Something One day, at a work meeting, I was relating a story of something that happened at a previous job. My ...