Thursday, July 29, 2021

Dairy Queen


2017

One evening, my wife and I craved ice cream. There was a Dairy Queen near our home, and we decided I would go get some ice cream.

This was fairly early in my transition. We had begun to really explore with feminine clothing, around the home, and I was wearing a women's v-neck t-shirt, and a pair of relatively short white shorts. My legs were shaved, and my toenails were painted. But, I had never been out of the house even remotely presenting female. Accordingly, I started to go change, and my wife stopped me, and told me it was okay for me to go dressed as I was. I asked if she was sure, and she said yes. So, I pulled on some ankle socks and slipped on some black canvas shoes. Off I went.

Honestly, I was extremely nervous. What would people think? How would they react? At Dairy Queen, I parked and got out of the SUV. A guy standing outside watched me walk to the door, and I wondered what he thought. Inside, the teen boy at the counter took my order. A girl behind the counter engaged me in conversation while the guy made the blizzards. Normal, everyday conversation. Soon, ice cream in hand, I was heading out the door. In the glass door, I saw from their reflections that they were watching me. As I stepped out, I heard the guy say to the girl “That is one serious (insert derogatory term for a gay male)”.

The trip home took only about a minute and a half. So, there really wasn't time to think about what was said. 

When at home, I related this to my wife, she asked me how I felt about that. Honestly? I was proud of myself for finding the courage to go out dressed as I was since physically I still looked pretty much male. I was very proud of my wife for being comfortable enough to be okay with it.

2 comments:

  1. It took me years to get up the guts to go out publicly. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I could really feel the nervousness you were feeling at the DQ on that day. I love the way you write, and am proud of you for braving to go out in public like that:) -Dani

    ReplyDelete

The Day My Boss Learned Something

 2023 The Day My Boss Learned Something One day, at a work meeting, I was relating a story of something that happened at a previous job. My ...